show your PC here

Home Forums General Hardware Corner show your PC here

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Nopitch
    Participant

Lol yes the GPU is too heavy i should probably put the case on the side. that the most silent pc i have ever had. The 970 i sold to my brother was really silent too.

mattiejas
    Keymaster

Gaming rig.

mattiejas
    Keymaster

I left the power cables sitting on the side to avoid them to obstruct the space in front of the graphics card (which might be bad for the airflow). Probably could be done much better. 😀

Participant

why do you have the graphic card installed in the wrong slot? 😀

yeah, it should be done better 😀

mattiejas
    Keymaster

So you noticed 😀

The video is nice, thanks for that. It’s a bit easier with a case that has so much space.

My old GTX 570 fitted in the top slot perfectly. When I replaced it with a 970, this card could no longer fit in the top slot without recabling the whole thing. Now in fact I did try to recable it, however after about 30 minutes of fiddling, I surrendered due to the insufficient room between the top hard drive bay (which I am using for the SSD; the bottom bays are used for 2 standard hard drives) and the graphics card when mounted in the top slot: there seemed no room to fit and connect all the cables. Hence this funny solution for now. Fortunately, GPU temperatures seem stable, the fans never get loud, and PSU draws in its own air anyway, so it isn’t going to cause any issues I hope. I guess the case is meant to be used this way for large graphics cards…

Periodically, I’ve been thinking to look at it again but then why open the case if it works and you can play GTA instead. 😉

Participant

and did you try to check mobo spec how is it with this slot? Cos primary x16 full speed slot for graphic cards is that upper1. This1 is for those who want to run two cards etc and may be shared with something or may be only 8x.

i still believe it is possible to rewire those cables and mount the graphic card to the upper slot but unfortunelly iam too far to show you the proof 😀 its some professional deformation in my case propably. cos i cant live without clean look inside the case. and its hard to accept the truth that others arent like me 😀

mattiejas
    Keymaster

You are correct, it is a pcie 3.0 8x slot. If I believe what I read on the net, it makes little to no difference for a single GTX 970: 8x provides enough bandwidth. For science, it would be interesting to see if the 16x slot makes a difference. It does feel somewhat wrong to keep the card in the slower slot.

If you say it can be made to work… well, you’ve just given me the courage to try to recable the darn thing again. 😛

Participant

i know the difference is very small. but the feeling when you know your can do little more for more power of your graphic card 😀

A few days ago i heard your dicsussion on discord about overclocking graphic cards. i tried it but it doesnt work 😀 It doesnt save my frequency (and others) settings 😀 OC software attached to my graphic cards is propably only for marketing purposes 😀

btw should we have a topic about overclocking in our hardware corner? i mean system oc, not GPU.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The forum ‘Hardware Corner’ is closed to new topics and replies.